What do you have to do after your arrival in the Netherlands?

Register at the local municipality

EU as well as non-EU students have to register at the local municipality within five days of their arrival. The documents that are necessary for your registration can differ per municipality and per country of origin. Please bear in mind that you might need to arrange some documents before you leave for the Netherlands.

Documents checklist:

  • Passport – mandatory
  • Proof of address in the Netherlands (e.g. rental contract) - mandatory
  • Birth certificate – optional, depending on the municipality
  • Possible other documents, please see the information for EU / non EU students below

In certain cases, Dutch municipalities may ask international students to bring an original and legalised copy of their birth certificate, especially in case you intend to stay in the Netherlands for more than one year. If your birth certificate is not issued in Dutch, English, French or German, you will also need to bring a sworn translation thereof.

If your home country has signed the Apostille Treaty, you will have to get an Apostille for your birth certificate from the designated authority in your country. Please check whether your country is on the list of treaty signatories. If your country has not signed the Apostille Treaty, we recommend you to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country where the birth certificate was issued. You can also check the information on the website of the Dutch embassy in your country or the website of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

European (EU/EEA) students

Visa and Temporary Residence Permit

Citizens from the following countries do not have to obtain a visa to enter the Netherlands and do not need a temporary residence permit:

  • European Union
  • European Free Trade Association countries
  • for more countries, see student visa wizard

Non-European (Non-EU) students


Citizens of non-EU countries who would like to stay in the Netherlands for a period longer than 3 months have to obtain a visa to enter the Netherlands. For more detailed information on visa requirements, please visit the student visa wizard.

Van Hall Larenstein University of Applied Sciences will apply for a visa on your behalf since the "normal" visa procedure can take up to 7 months. You will need to supply us with the following documents:

  • Copy of passport (all pages)
  • Legalised copy of birth certificate and a translation into English
  • Proof of good health/ medical certificate*
  • Proof of enrolment fees payment
  • Chinese students also need to obtain a Nuffic certificate (formerly NESO certificate)

The proof of insurance or a complete insurance application form is arranged by Van Hall Larenstein University.

We will only start the short visa procedure when the application is complete. Please check the visa application form for all the details. Please note that you will be asked to pay separately for the short visa procedure.

* Some nationalities have to report to the State Health Services (GGD) for Tuberculosis control. Van Hall Larenstein staff members will assist you with this procedure.

Temporary residence permit

If you are a non-EU student and are intending to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months, you must also apply for a temporary residence permit. Van Hall Larenstein will assist in sending your residence permit application to the IND (Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service). The Ministry of Justice will assess your application for a residence permit and inform you about the decision within three weeks.

Students will be granted a temporary residence permit for the nominal study period. However, at the end of every study year, the university will check whether the student has achieved at least 50% of the required ECTS points. If yes, the residence permit will automatically be extended. If no, the residence permit will be retracted.

We are using cookies for the functioning of this site and to get statistics from visits. These statistics help us to improve the site even further. See our cookie explanation page for the use of cookies and the statistics.
By using this website we assume that you agree with our statements.
We use cookies for this site, by visiting we
assume that you agree with our statements.
I agree