Physics based Water Technologies
The NHL Water Technology Professorship is an applied research group which focus on supporting the private initiative by offering high quality research capabilities and expertise in a HBO environment. The support is given to processes which aim water treatment, waste water treatment, energy from water and particle detection, which have a strong physics principle, e.g. thermodynamics based, ultrasound based and/or electrohydrodynamic based.
Ultimately, the group envisions the development and the execution of such research projects as a way to complement and support the formation of our young HBO engineers, to support further development of the Friesland province and (ultimately) The Netherlands, to support the principles and ideas of the Water Campus concept and to provide good quality-price support to technology companies.
About the professor
Dr. ir. Luewton L F Agostinho is a physicist and civil engineer graduated by Federal University of Ceará, Brazil with a PhD in Applied Physics by TU Delft, The Netherlands. Luewton is currently the head of the EHDA laboratory of NHL University of Applied Sciences in Leeuwarden, The Netherlands. The group has worked with different companies and knowledge institutes in Europe and South America and has a special focus on projects which aim the applications of EHDA in Water Technology systems. Among the different applications developed and studied by the group it could be mentioned: desalination systems, gas odorization systems, emulsification and spray drying.
To complement and support, via the execution of applied research projects, the formation of our young HBO engineers, the development of the Friesland province and (ultimately) The Netherlands, the principles and philosophy of the Water Campus and to provide good quality-price support to technology companies.
What do we do?
Design, structure, management and execution of applied research projects in Water Technology.
Provide educational and academic input at different levels, e.g. HBO training, professional courses to companies, technical support to academic groups.
- Śmiech, K.M., Tolsma, A., Kovács, T., Dalbosco, V., Yasadi, K., Groendijk, L. & Agostinho, L.L.F. (2018). Comparing Mixed Media and Conventional Slow Sand Filters for the removal of Arsenic from Ground Water. Water 2018, 10(2): 119.
- Ondimu, O.M., Ganesan, V.A., Gatari, M.J., Marijnissen, J.C.M. & Agostinho, L.L.F. (2017). Modeling simple-jet mode electrohydrodynamic-atomization droplets' trajectories and spray pattern for a single nozzle system. Journal of Electrostatics, 89: 77-87.
- Parmentier, D., Rybałtowska, A., van Smeden, J., Kroon, M.C., Marijnissen, J.C.M. & Lemos, L. (2016). Applying electrohydrodynamic atomization to enhance mass transfer of metal salts from an aqueous phase towards ionic liquids. Journal of Electrostatics, 80: 1-7.
- Agosthino, L.L.F., Tamminga, G., Yurteri, C.U., Brouwer, S.P., Fuchs, E.C. & Marijnissen, J.C.M. (2012). Morphology of water electrosprays in the simple-jet mode. Physical Review E, 86 (6): 066317.
- Verdoold, S., Agosthino, L.L.F., Yurteri, C.U. & Marijnissen, J.C.M. (2014). A Generic Electrospray Classification. Journal of Aerosol Sciences, 67:87-103.
- Sousa, C., Jeremiasse, A. & Agosthino, L.L.F. Análise da performance de um sistema eletroquímico com eletrodos especialmente revestidos (Ru MMO) como alternativa para procesos de desinfecção. Een door vakgenoten getoetste publicatie gepresenteerd tijdens de 25e conferentie van de Brazilian Sanitation Society (ABES). Oktober, 2017.
- Jan C.M. Marijnissen, PhD, professor, Delft University of Technology, University of Nairobi, University of Florida, Wetsus
- Lolke Sijtsma, PhD, professor, Wageningen UR
- Marcio Botto, PhD, professor, Unifor
- Michael J. Gatari, PhD, professor, University of Nairobi
- Rafael Bastos, PhD, professor, UFV
- Aize Tolsma, bachelor, project engineer, Van Hall Larenstein
- Geert-Jan Luttikhof, bachelor, project engineer, CEW
- Karolina M. Śmiech, master, projectengineer, NHL
- Marieke Krikke, master, projectengineer, Van Hall Larenstein
- Tom Wijers, master, projectengineer, Van Hall Larenstein
- Varun Aiyar Ganesan, master, projectengineer, Delft University of Technology, NHL
- Sytze Pruiksma, master, projectengineer, NHL
- Francisco J. Guiscafre Rodea, PhD, researcher, Finka United Farms
- Marieke Vanthoor Koopmans, PhD, researcher, Greenko Consultancy/UAQ
- Rafael Cubero, PhD, researcher, Wageningen UR