General admission requirements
HAVO-equivalent secondary school diploma
One of the general admission requirements for all our 4-year Bachelor study programmes is a secondary school diploma, which is equivalent to the Dutch HAVO diploma. Examples of equivalent levels are the International Baccalaureate diploma or A-Levels. Your diploma will be evaluated after VHL has received your complete application. For more information about the Dutch evaluation of your secondary school diploma, please see the Nuffic diploma recognition
Specific admission requirements
Applicants with a non-Dutch diploma:
It is highly recommended that Mathematics or Economics are covered until the end of secondary school, but this is not a mandatory admission requirement.
Applicants with a Dutch diploma:
Please go to our Dutch page for the specific admission requirements.
All international students must provide proof of their English proficiency by submitting one of the following documents:
- Academic IELTS-test with overall band score of 6.0 and no sub-scores below 5.0;
- TOEFL test with a score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based), 78-80 (internet based);
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English* (CAE): pass at grade C or above;
- Cambridge First Certificate (FCE)*: pass at grade B/C or above.
Please note that tests results older than two years cannot be accepted.
The following students are exempt from providing proof of their English language proficiency:
- Native English speakers (USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and Canada (English-speaking areas). As a native English speaker from the above mentioned areas, you may be exempt from providing additional proof of English proficiency.
- Applicants with a sufficient Dutch diploma
- Applicants with an International Baccalaureate with a final examination in English A Language and Literature.
- Applicants from Austria, Belgium (Flanders), Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Norway, Romania, Slovakia and Sweden who have obtained one of the following diplomas, including a final examination in English.
If you do not meet the admission requirements or you are not sure whether you do, please contact email@example.com for more information.