General admission requirements
HAVO-equivalent secondary school diploma
One of the general admission requirements for all our 4-year Bachelor study programmes is a secondary school diploma, which is equivalent to the Dutch HAVO diploma. Examples of equivalent levels are the International Baccalaureate diploma or A-Levels. Your diploma will be evaluated after VHL has received your complete application. For more information about the Dutch evaluation of your secondary school diploma, please see the Nuffic diploma recognition
Specific admission requirements
Applicants with a non-Dutch diploma:
It is highly recommended that Mathematics are covered until the end of secondary school, but this is not a mandatory admission requirement.
Applicants with a Dutch diploma:
Please go to our Dutch page for the specific admission requirements.
All international students must provide proof of their English proficiency by submitting one of the following documents:
- Academic IELTS-test with overall band score of 6.0 and no sub-scores below 5.0;
- TOEFL test with a score of 80 or above (internet based)
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): pass at grade C or above
- Cambridge First Certificate (CFE): pass at grade B/C or above
Please note that tests results older than two years cannot be accepted.
Due to the situation surrounding COVID-19, we will also accept the results of the TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition. If you are applying from China or Iran, please contact us for more information.
The following students are exempt from providing proof of their English language proficiency:
- Applicants with a sufficient Dutch diploma
- Applicants from Austria, Belgium (Flanders), Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Norway, Romania, Slovakia and Sweden who have obtained one of the following diplomas, including a final examination in English
- Applicants with an International Baccalaureate with a final examination in English A Language and Literature
- Applicants who have completed at least three years of English-taught education, including a final examination in English in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (English-speaking areas), Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand, South Africa, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States of America (English-speaking areas), Zimbabwe
If you have completed at least three years of English-taught education in another country, including a final examination in English, you are not exempt from providing proof of English proficiency, but you may qualify for an alternative language test. If you provide us with an official statement that English was the medium of instruction during your studies, we may be able to administer the OOPT. This alternative online test is set by van Hall Larenstein, costs 125 euro, and the results will be decisive to your admission.
If you do not meet the admission requirements or you are not sure whether you do, please contact email@example.com for more information.